If one were using a filesystem representation, then it's probably an external requirement (i.e. not self-imposed) because the connected VC system uses a filesystem. A VC being for example Subversion, the newer CVS like system. Most VC systems are based on files and filesystems.

Yep.

But in a 100% transcript model then you could throw out the filesystem representation then I'm sure background groups would be easier to deal with.

FWIW, I don't see background groups as such a big deal. For example, you could:

1) Stick them under the "stack" folder.
2) Store as a property all of the cards they belong to (for regular groups, just 1 card)
3) Whenever someone asks to check out a card, expand the underlying CVS/Subversion command to also check-out the groups on that card.

Ditto for the objects in the group.

Granted, it doesn't make for a very nice _looking_ filesystem representation, but I assume you would never see any of this since a Rev GUI would sit on top of it.

- Brian