Richard Gaskin wrote:
James Spencer wrote:

MisterX is incorrect, this is not OS behavior.  The placement
of the preferences item at the end of the  Edit menu and then
moving it on OS X is pure Rev.

I think it's a matter of semantics: It's a Rev issue only because OS X doesn't need to support other operating systems.

Personally, I see no harm in putting menu items where customers expect them, and much benefit in Rev doing that automatically for us.

While technically a bug, in practice it should never be an issue: the Mac HIG has long recommended against disabling the entire Edit menu, and the OS X HIG suggests never disabling menus at all, only items within the menu:

   Even if all of the items in a menu or submenu are unavailable,
   the menu or submenu title is not dimmed. The user can still
   open the menu, but all of its items are dimmed to indicate
   that these items are not available in the present context.

<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/XHIGMenus/chapter_16_section_2.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000957-TP30000356-TPXREF119>

Ah, but the mystery deepens:

Continuing the sad modern tradition of OS HIGs being driven by edict rather than research, it seems we have another OS difference presented with no research results available to back up either of the contradictions we're asked to accomodate:

On Windows, the HIG sez:

   If all items in a menu are disabled, disable its menu title.
   If you disable a menu item or its title, the user can still
   browse to it or choose it.

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwue/html/ch08b.asp>

Of course, if these OS vendors bothered to do good research they would have arrived at the same decision, since the cognitive mechanisms of their respective audiences are not likely different, all of them being human.

But even though one or both of these vendors is wrong, as Tog reminds me the best option is to go with consistency, doing what's most common on each platform. So I guess that means we have one more cross-platform gotcha to add to our session next year, Ken. :)

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Managing Editor, revJournal