Ken Ray wrote:
On 8/20/05 11:47 AM, "Mark Wieder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Ken-

If your application has an 'Edit' menu AND it has a 'Preferences' menu item
AND you deploy to Mac OS X, then you should never disable the entire Edit
menu (you should leave the menu itself enabled, but individually disable the
items you want to prevent users from executing).

Good to know about, I guess, but are there any other applications that
really *do* disable an entire menu? I can't think of any - I think
it's an OS thing about disabling menu items for apps that aren't the
frontmost app. I don't think this is a rev bug, but rather that you're
trying to usurp an OS function by doing this.

Well, regardless of whether there are other apps that disable an entire menu
(thanks, Richard, for the HIG post, btw), the fact is that Rev allows you to
do it, and the results are inconsistent under OS X for the Edit menu (and
probably the Help menu too, I'd suspect). So either Rev shouldn't allow the
disabling of an entire menu, or it should at least be consistent, IMHO.

But if you disable the entire menu, what happens to your Preferences item on Win?

Although the Win HIG says that when all of a menu's items are unavailable to go ahead and disable the entire menu, in the case of the Edit menu that's not likely to be an issue, since it's the common place for the Preferences item.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Managing Editor, revJournal