On 15 Nov 2006, at 20:49, Chipp Walters wrote:

Richard,

I respectfully disagree with some of the points made.

Dave specifically stated:

The problem is that when they read the sales small print (in this case)
and see support is not included.
<<

I believe he was referring to his company's Enterprise developers and
management when he said it.

A client yes. It was the Studio version of RunRev I was referring to.

Support fees are widespread in Enterprise-- especially in software
development. If you code in Xcode and need support, you pay Apple a yearly support fee. If you code in Visual Studio and you need the upgrades for MSDN, you pay over $2K per year. It is typical for Enterprise customers to pay 10% or more in yearly support and maintenance fees for all types of
sofware.

They don't pay any of these fee's. They get free bug fixes in XCode, AppleScript, JavaScript etc, I'm not sure on Windows.

That said, many software toolkits automatically include the price of
"Standard Support and Maintenance" with the first year of purchase. I
imagine Rev doesn't do this because they are trying to hit a very low
pricepoint. They may wish to rethink that decision. TrollTech, another
cross-platform development toolset, includes 1-year support and maintenance
plan, but just see how expensive they are:

(You may want to make sure you are sitting down)

http://www.trolltech.com/support/support/standard
and
http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/licenses/pricing

I know and it's crap support!!!

The thought that the small price of Rev's support/maintance program would throw Enterprise customers off, perhaps tells more about the customers than
Rev's pricing strategies.

I'm just talking about the studio versions, it wouldn't have been a problem to make the price higher and include support, the problem was having it a separate item, coupled with 2.7.x being buggy (especially on Windows XP) and incompatible stack file problem.All served to put them off.

Cheers
Dave