Andre wrote:
I wrote a really big piece today. I sent to the list but the list rejected saying it is to big (16k, awaiting moderator approaval).

That's a silly arbitrary limit. But the post is valuable and there are so many more people here than there that rather than inconvenience the lot of them I've taken the liberty of re-posting your message here as you originally intended, broken into three parts to work within the silly limit here....

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Managing Editor, revJournal

From Andre:

Boa noite, Friends,

I sent this first to the use-revolution list but I think it was reject for being a big email.

Again on this list we touch the topics of browser plugins, flash export and other possible web related features. People from the RunRev team came forward and asked us for feedback and requests and many answered to this call. This email will be my thoughts on the topic of web and rev, it will be a very long email and I'll touch many topics but in the end this will remain an opinion piece and others may have a different point of view. I hereby apologise for my lack of english grammar skills and my typos, even before they occur. English is my third language, portuguese is my first, cursing my second and english my third. I'll first talk about flash, web browser plugin, java bytecodes, I'll be against them all, then I'll talk about what I think is the future and that it can be done now if people help.

It's been mentioned before that Revolution should export it's stacks to flash, I don't think this is feasible not only by a technical standpoint but also for a theoretical point of view. Flash is a multimedia presentation authoring tool. Runtime Revolution is a turing complete application building language and IDE. Revolution has features such as database access, tcp and udp networking, native GUI support which don't map well to Flash. I am not even touching topics such as the unique nature of stacks, cards, objects, customprops and the message path. I don't think the feature set and the mind set behind those two apps map well to each other, so therefore, I recommend against such solutions but the SWF format is open and anyone is encouraged to try some experiments.

Other possible solution was the creation of a web browser plugin, this is certainly more attractive to me than flash and more feasible. The idea of a plugin although is very hard because not only RunRev team would have to support lots of platforms (at least linux, windows and mac os x) but also each browser for each platform (safari, mozilla, explorer, opera), the amount of resources to create such thing would be enormous. Also what is the real difference between downloading the Revolution Player and having a browser plugin? Both will be about the same size but the plugin will be confined to the browser canvas (okay, it might be able to spawn its own windows too) and the Revolution Player one will be running on the "real thing". As far as my experience goes with Revolution Player, if any user needs to use my software, he will gladly download the player, he acknowledges no difference between downloading a player and a plugin. The player is less work for RunRev as a windows player will work in every windows, a browser plugin will depend on the browser version. So I'd rather use the Revolution player than a plugin.

The idea of making the engine generate java bytecodes is very entertaining because this would enable us to use revolution to build servlets for our web server end, midlets for our cellphone or pda programming and applets for those that really want to be confined to a browser canvas. I don't know much about java bytecodes although I put a book specially about generating java bytecodes from languages that are not java in my Safari bookshelf. The idea is very nice except for the fact that the WHOLE RUNTIME REVOLUTION ENGINE WOULD NEED TO BE REWRITTEN, sorry for the all caps, but we needed emphasys. To create such bytecode thing, a new engine would need to be built, we would not be able to re-use none of the C/C++ code. A new engine from the scratch. We don't have the resources for that either, writting a new engine?! Just pick everything scott raney did, all the things runrev added during the last years, throw it all away and build it again just for using java bytecodes. I don't think we can do that now.

Okay, my rant is finished, let us talk about new things, about Revolution and the Web in the way I see it.

(continued in Part 2 of 3)