Dave wrote:

What suggests this crash is specifically a memory leak?

Just a guess really, I have had this kind of problem when my external commands (not being used in this test) had a memory leak and the performance went right down and RunRev acted in a similar way.

Not really sure if it is a leak, just seems like the most likely. It's interesting that it works on you setup though. What version of Mac OS are you using?

Mac OS X 10.4.8, MacBook Pro 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM

Richard reports that it works ok on his system, - Richard did you set the Fill Color of the Graphic to Green? Actually any color seems to cause it.

I just added a line to set the color of the group to a random color -- works just as well:

on mouseUp
  local tNum
  local twID
  local tFol
  local tDest

  put the colorNames into tColors  --< NEW

  put 500 into tNum
  put the windowID of this stack into twID
  put "/Users/rg/Desktop/untitled folder/" into tFol
  set the defaultfolder to tFol

  repeat with x = 1 to tNum
    if the mouse is down then
      exit to top
    end if
    put x & ".png" into tDest
    put x into fld "counter"
    set the backgroundColor of grp 1 to  any line of tColors --< NEW
    export snapshot from grp 1 to file tDest as PNG
  end repeat
  answer "Done!"
end mouseUp

Then I added a graphic in case there was something specific to that object type, changing the color of the graphic instead of the group. Same good result.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation