I'm reading what this thread and I am a little lost, what should the
expected behavioral be?

Should it maintain 53K regardless of nodes?

nodes   reads/sec
1       53,000
2       37,000
4       37,000

I ran this test previously on the cloud, with similar results:

nodes   reads/sec
1       24,000
2       21,000
3       21,000