Usually a fixed bottleneck results from a limited resource -- you've
eliminated disk from the test and you don't mention that CPU is a serious
issue, or memory for that matter.

So for me that leaves network i/o and switch capacity.  Is it possible that
your test is saturating your local network card or switch infrastructure.

Some rough numbers would be that 1Gbe does about 120MBytes/second i/o in
practice and 100Mbit will do something like 10MB/sec so if your requests so
37,000 requests per second would mean 270 bytes per request (including
network encoding and meta data) on a 100Mbit network or 3.2K per request if
you have a full 1Gbe network including switch capacity to switch 1Gbe per
node.

Is is possible that you are moving 3.2K per request?

-malcolm