On 6/17/2011 7:26 AM, William Oberman wrote:
I haven't done it yet, but when I researched how to make geo-diverse/failover DCs, I figured I'd have to do something like RF=6, strategy = {DC1=3, DC2=3}, and LOCAL_QUORUM for reads/writes. This gives you an "ack" after 2 local nodes do the read/write, but the data eventually gets distributed to the other DC for a full failover. No "ying-yang", but I believe accomplishes the same goal?

will

What I don't like about NTS is I would have to have more replicas than I need. {DC1=2, DC2=2}, RF=4 would be the minimum. If I felt that 2 local replicas was insufficient, I'd have to move up to RF=6 which seems like a waste... I'm predicting data in the TB range so I'm trying to keep replicas to a minimum.

My goal is to have 2-3 replicas in a local data center and 1 replica in another dc. I think that would be enough barring a major catastrophe. But, I'm not sure this is possible. I define "local" as in the same data center as the client doing the insert/update.