On 18 February 2014 21:11, Jason Winshell <jas...@bearriver.com> wrote:

> Jens,
>
> Thanks for the speedy response. I certainly appreciate the low-bandwidth
> situation of the folks who generously contribute their time. Nonetheless,
> IE is the browser used by government and many corporations. This is not a
> matter of what browser is better than another. It's just a fact of life. I
> as a contractor, don't get to dictate the tools used in those environments.
> IT staff, like database administrators are absolutely not going to use curl
> (assuming it's even allowed to be installed on machines) to manage a
> database. CouchDB has to have browser admin UI that is compatible with IE,
> Chrome and Firefox. IE being the most important even if is not the choice
> of developers. I'm presented with such frustrating realities every day in
> my work for big companies and government. I'm sure there are plenty of
> folks on the user and developer list who deal with that.

I can understand your point of view. Please file a ticket here and please
be a little patient until someone picks it up to solve the problem:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB

I'm curious as to what the QA process is for posting official releases.
> What is the test regression process? I got hung up by a serious bug (which
> I didn't know was a bug) last week in the Mac OS 1.5 build that I got off
> the web site. I found that modest size attachments (e.g. 3MB) took 20-25
> seconds to upload, regardless of the technique. I ran the same test on
> Windows and found no problems, under a second, barely measurable. One the
> contributors, who respond to my post on the user forum, said the bug been
> identified and fixed in a branch, but not yet posted as a 1.5 patch build.
> The Mac is not my production platform, but I develop all my code on it. Do
> you know when/how the bug fix (by the way, what is the bug) will be posted
> to an official build?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jason

Dirkjan is the one who is creating release candidates. The whole CoucHDB
community is the asked to test the candidate and vote for the release. This
time CouchDB 1.6 is still hold back because of bug which is hard to fix and
the lack of time.

> On Feb 18, 2014, at 11:04 AM, Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 18, 2014, at 10:11 AM, Jason Winshell <ja...@jasonwinshell.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm at a bit of a loss trying to understand how a bug like this could
> go undetected in an official release.
> >
> > Because the CouchDB contributors don't have the bandwidth to test the
> admin UI (which is obviously lower priority than the core database) on
> every version of every browser?
> >
> > (Also, I'll bet there's a low correlation between people who work on or
> use CouchDB and people who use MSIE, so this kind of bug wouldn't get
> noticed very often.)
> >
> > The thing I find odd is that the one browser CouchDB is officially
> tested with is Firefox, not Chrome, when Chrome has about twice the market
> share of Firefox or MSIE[1] and is based on {something still very close to}
> WebKit, which has about 80% of mobile market share[2].
> >
> > I'm guessing the choice of which browser to support/test with was made
> early on, maybe 5 years ago, when Firefox was more dominant and MSIE was
> still in terrible shape.
> >
> >> It's essential that Futon work with IE. Corporate and government
> installations dictate the what software is installed on machines. A user
> would not be allowed to install a Couch compatible browser.
> >
> > Futon's not an essential part of CouchDB. It doesn't do anything you
> can't do through the REST API. As long as users are allowed to install
> 'curl' they'll be OK ;-)
> >
> > —Jens
> >
> > [1]
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers#Summary_table