I also think that a real-time channel is long overdue. The Flink community in China has shown that such a platform can be useful for improving the collaboration within the community. The DingTalk channel of 10k+ users collectively helping each other is great to see. It could also reduce the burden from committers for answering frequently asked questions.

Personally, I'm a mailing list fan esp. when it comes to design discussions. In my opinion, the dev@ mailing list should definitely stay where and how it is. However, I understand that users might not want to subscribe to a mailing list for a single question and get their mailbox filled with unrelated discussions afterwards. Esp. in a company setting it might not be easy to setup a dedicated email address for mailing lists and setting up rules is also not convenient.

It would be great if we could use the ASF Slack. We should find an official, accessible channel. I would be open for the right tool. It might make sense to also look into Discourse or even Reddit? The latter would definitely be easier to index by a search engine. Discourse is actually made for modern real-time forums.

Regards,
Timo