Thanks Tim, that got me started, at least.  Still can't deploy my
application, so don't go away!

Updating the namespace as below means that I can open the descriptor with
the GEP editor.  But nothing I do to it seems to change the source code, so
I'm not convinced it actually works yet.  The wiki is out of date I guess
because it shows version 1.0 of the schemas being used.  So I wasn't using
an invalid namespace (I even downloaded the schema to see if it told me
anything), just the wrong one.  I guess the tooling could do a better job of
telling me what's going on there.

As far as creating a new project, I won't attach anything because there is
only one entry (and it's a warning not an error):

"More than one declaration found for action type INSTALL of projet facet
org.apache.geronimo.facet 1.2."

Does that mean anything?

What about adding descriptors to existing projects.  Shouldn't there be a
New->... menu for it or something?

Dave.