> Is there anything between your browser and the web application that
> might be buffering HTTP requests/responses? The behavior described
> sounds like what would happen if a proxy or firewall between the browser
> and the webapp is buffering the stream from the webapp, preventing the
> client from ever receiving that data until the connection finally closes
> and the buffer is flushed.

Thanks for the tip. Indeed there seems to be a problem with my local
setup. I have guacamole running in docker containers inside WSL while
the custom app was running in the Windows host.

I ended up deploying the custom app in the same Tomcat as the
Guacamole app. It still didn't work with the browser running in
Windows. Then I installed Chromium in WSL and with that it finally
worked.