Hi,

I have been using Hadoop since Christmas loosely and from May for an
Software engineering MSc at Heriot Watt University in Edinburgh, Scotland.
I have written a genetic sequence alignment algorithm.

I have installed Hadoop in various places including a 32 node cluster and
am using eclipse kepler sr 2 as an IDE.

My current Hadoop version is 2.4.1 which I download as a tar from the
apache mirror servers.

It¹s been a tough learning curve, but that has made the learning all the
more valuable.

I believe using the straight Hadoop version has given insights that
proprietary builds wouldn¹t have. There are so many confusing issues that
crop up, it¹s easy to attach importance to trying to fix the an error
which masks another. With the proprietary versions it would be easy to
attach blame where it¹s not that build or this builds fault.

Go with your heart but be prepared to work to solve the problems you
encounter.

Buy Tom Whites book, it isn¹t perfect and a couple of years out of date
but it gives you enough detail and structure to build an impression you
can work from. The downloadable source code is a great help when trying to
get started.

Good luck.

Regards,

Chris MacKenzie