Here's a rough description of how we're handling something similar:

- Create a "tag query collection" consisting of the node(s) for each tag in
your query (TQNodes)

- Given the tags to match, determine the "specificity" of each tag (e.g.
depth in the tag hierarchy)

- For the most specific tag, using relationships, traverse applicable
nodes/posts to first reduce the valid set of nodes to a smaller number.
We'll call this collection PostNodes

- For each node/post (PostNode) in the returned list (PostNodes), get a list
of tag relationships and grab the node Id's for these tags and put them in a
"tag post collection" (TPNodes)

- For each tag node (TPNode) in TPNodes, check for a match in the your "tag
query collection" (TQNodes).  If TPNode has no matches, get the parent of
TPNode and re-check if it is in the TQNodes.  Continue until you reach the
root node in the tag hierarchy or find a match.  If you reach the root node
in the tag hierarchy, you do not have a match, so try the next PostNode in
PostNodes.  If you find a match for TPNode, try the next TPNode in TPNodes.
If all the nodes in TPNodes have a match, include this PostNode in your
results

I'd love to know if there's a more effective way to do this as well!

Rick