Hi there,
as both Rick and Michael say - there is different use cases, different
ways of organizing your data and different ways to query it.

Marko and me tried to summarize what is working especially good with
Graph Databases and what not:
http://markorodriguez.com/Blarko/Entries/2010/4/7_The_Graph_Traversal_Pattern.html,
the paper is even at
http://www.scribd.com/doc/29591188/The-Graph-Traversal-Pattern for
easy reading.

To cite the conclusion:
------------------8<--------------------------------
4 Conclusion
Graphs are a flexible modeling construct that can be used to model a domain
and the indices that partition that domain into an efficient, searchable space.
When the relations between the objects of the domain are seen as vertex
partitions, then a graph is simply an index that relates vertices to vertices by
edges. The way in which these vertices relate to each other determines which
graph traversals are most efficient to execute and which problems can be solved
by the graph data structure. Graph databases and the graph traversal pattern
do not require a global analysis of data. For many problems, only local subsets
of the graph need to be traversed to yield a solution. By structuring the graph
in such a way as to minimize traversal steps, limit the use of external indices,
and reduce the number of set-based operations, modelers gain great efficiency
that is difficult to accomplish with other data management solutions.
---------------------------8<------------------------------------

So, graphs are no silver bullets but can gain great efficiency when
applied to the right problems in the right manner.

Cheers,

/peter neubauer

COO and Sales, Neo Technology

GTalk:      neubauer.peter