On 8 April 2010 11:43, <rick.bullo...@burningskysoftware.com> wrote:

>  Just trying to make the point that sometime abstract or generic
>   traversal schemes aren't always optimal and that it is often worth the
>   effor to explore domain-specific approaches.

The message from this thread seems to be that a) the graph model is great at
expressing this style of hierarchical tree model and b) that most people
seem to be resorting to domain specific indexing to efficiently query it.

The problem with domain-specific approaches is that they require an extra
layer of code in order to maintain the index, which increases code
complexity, time and cost. The attraction of abandoning a traditional RDMS
is that we can eloquently model the graph like structure of our data without
resorting to domain specific layers. If, however, we need to resort to them
to query the model its a bit pointless!

Cheers

Al