Hi Michael,

> Just in case we're not talking about the same kind of streaming --
> when I think streaming, I think "streaming uploads", "streaming
> downloads", etc.

I'm thinking "chunked" transfers. That is the server starts sending a response
and then eventually terminates it when the whole response has been sent to the
client.

Although it seems a bit rude, the client could simply opt to close the
connection when it's "read enough" providing what it has read makes sense.
Sometimes document fragments can make sense:

<results>
   <node id="1234">
     <property name="planet" value="Earth"/>
   </node>
   <node id="1235">
    <property name="planet" value="Mars"/>
   </node>
<!-- client gets bored here and kills the connection missing out on what would
have followed -->
   <node id="1236">
    <property name="planet" value="Jupiter"/>
   </node>
   <node id="1237">
    <property name="planet" value="Saturn"/>
   </node>
</results>

In this case we certainly don't have well-formed XML, but some streaming API
(e.g. stax) might already have been able to create some local objects on the
client side as the Earth and Mars nodes came in.

I don't think this is elegant at all, but it might be practical. I've asked
Mark Nottingham for his view on this since he's pretty sensible about Web
things.

Jim