Actually jo4neo is actively developed as you can see from the commit log.

I submitted my patches to Peter who is also a committer.

For using the server you might drop in my API-replacement wrapper:
https://github.com/jexp/neo4j-java-rest-binding

You cannot run two instances onto the same store directory.

There is a way of running a "server-ui" on top of your embedded db, but I think
it is not documented yet.

http://components.neo4j.org/neo4j-server/snapshot/apidocs/org/neo4j/server/WrappingNeoServerBootstrapper.html

Cheers

Michael