Seems if you're trying to mimic SQL it would be a shame if the most common
construct was the least SQL like.  At an abstract semantic level (ie, not
digging into the code or real usage) PATTERN and WHERE seem close enough
that perhaps you can unify them?

In any case, I wouldn't say xPath is just tree structures, it can do
arbitrary grouping in addition to traversing up and down hierarchies. More
importantly, xQuery has to deal with graphs not trees since  you have
multiple ways of referencing related nodes (name and id in particular can
cause cycles or connections between branches).  Not sure it would map
directly to what you want, but I suspect you could build a syntax that was
more xQuery like than you will ever be able to build a syntax that
is truly SQL like?

Peter Hunsberger