From: Tim Smith [timsmit...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2014 7:39 PM
To: user@mahout.apache.org
Subject: RE: Item recommendation w/o users or preferences

Yes, thank you - read through it and several of the item and user
recommendation examples.  The objective is to recommend based on the current
basket - given no users/preferences (but I do have a history of transactions) -
I have been able to leverage the item mining algorithm to calculate support and
confidence values.  When I use a support threshold of 10% and group by product
and sort descending on confidence I am left we a ranking of item combos.
Basically a top N list by item that I would use to drive the recommendations.
In the actual use case, the requirement is not to recommend a product every
time, rather the most likely products based on a given basket - with my
arbitrary thresholds, I would expect to exclude some baskets.

> From: nimar...@pssd.com
> To: user@mahout.apache.org
> Subject: RE: Item recommendation w/o users or preferences
> Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 03:08:30 +0000
>
> I think the key question is what is the desired outcome? If you don't have
> users (customers) for which you'd like to generate recommendations that
> really handcuffs you from a recommendation standpoint.
>
> I'd recommend starting with a read through this:
> http://mahout.apache.org/users/recommender/recommender-first-timer-faq.html
> to get a feel for what Mahout does in the recommendation space.

"Email Firewall" made the following annotations.

Warning:
All e-mail sent to this address will be received by the corporate e-mail
system, and is subject to archival and review by someone other than the
recipient.  This e-mail may contain proprietary information and is intended
only for the use of the intended recipient(s).  If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that you have received this
message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in
error, please notify the sender immediately.