I found Mike's blog post regarding Lucene 4.X from a while ago [0].
In the* '*Other Changes*'* section Mike states "Analyzers must always
provide a reusable token stream, by implementing the
Analyzer.createComponents method (reusableTokenStream has been removed and
tokenStream is now final, in Analzyer)."
This provides a good bit ore context therefore I'm going to continue on
createComponents route with the aim of implementing the newer 4.X Lucene
API.
In the meantime, if you get any updated or have a code sample it would be
very much appreciated.
Thanks
Lewis

[0]