Dear Andrew,

Please remember there are 2 different ID's when you are doing inventory:
1. Product ID
2. Inventory ID

Normally product ID is not equal to Inventory ID as you would like to associate
a same Product ID received by different PO's to be traceable. So you have
inventory ID.

Every time you receive a product it would be a different inventory ID since you
have received this lot different. I think its very good. In some other system
the same inventory id is called Inventory Journal ID (since they track
Inventory journal).

Now in general case when you check Physical Inventory it can be by Product ID
or Inventory ID. You can customize ofbiz for either way they way you want the
report to be.

I was initially also confused with inventory id's but now its clear each
inventory id is in fact a inventory journal id which tracks if there is a
reserved inventory which sales order it is reserved for. In case of Purchase
order you know which inventory item is received by which purchase order.

There is no clear documentation on it. But may be you can find something at
opentaps http://www.opentaps.org/ site.

Thanks
With best regards,
Vikrant