The order list screen shows recent orders already without having to search. For the party manager, yes it might nice for about 5 minutes but then after that you'll have 1000+ customers, suppliers, employees etc. and showing the first page will provide absolutely no benefit whatsoever (unless by pure dumb luck the record you wanted is present within the first < 2% of the results).

Showing a no condition search will never save you several clicks, it will always save you exactly one click (the search button).

To solve your last point about confusion with no results being shown, ideally the results table wouldn't display unless a search has actually been performed. That is a change I would be +1 for.

Regards
Scott

HotWax Media
http://www.hotwaxmedia.com