Hi Hans,

I'm still in favor of the approach that I suggested earlier and you haven't
really mentioned why it wouldn't work for you.  If you like and if you are
willing to wait a couple of days I could show you what I mean with some example
entity xml data.  You could then load it into a demo instance and play around
with it.

I haven't read your proposal in detail yet but I'm not really in favor of using
the isVirtual=Y/isVariant=Y combination to indicate uom specific behavior.  I
think it is quite possible for a product to have that combination in real life
and using it for something else would remove that possibility.  Imagine a
variant that is itself also a virtual with its own child variants.

Regards
Scott

HotWax Media
http://www.hotwaxmedia.com

On 11/11/2010, at 8:46 PM, Hans Bakker wrote:

> A longer explanation how we want to implement this can be found at:
> http://www.antwebsystems.com/control/ViewBlogArticle?contentId=16750&blogContentId=AWS_BLOG
>
> Regards,
> Hans
>
> On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 16:52 +0700, Hans Bakker wrote:
>> We are are still getting the best solution, help appreciated.
>>
>> We are thinking of the following:
>> you have a product which you sell in pieces and boxes of ten.
>>
>> Then the product per piece is the lowest denominator and has a variant
>> association to a virtual/variant product which is an alternative
>> packaging of the product per piece and can have an adjusted price but no
>> inventory.
>>
>> Currently the e-commerce checks for the virtual flag and want to show a
>> feature selection list, however in the case of the virtual- and variant
>> flag both set, it should not.
>>
>> When the box of 10 is selected, The productId per piece is selected with
>> the adjusted price of the box variant.
>>
>> Comments very much appreciated.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Hans
>>

>> On Sun, 2010-10-03 at 12:13 -0600, David E Jones wrote:
>>> For boxes of a product you'll usually have one product that represents the
>>> individual items (which may or may not be for sale directly to the
>>> customer), and one that is a product that represents the box and that is
>>> associated with the individual item. In OFBiz there are a few different
>>> product types you can choose from to have the system handle the box in
>>> different ways automatically, or you can use plain old Finished Good to
>>> handle the boxes manually.
>>>
>>> For certain products all you need is the three fields already on the
>>> Product entity:
>>>
>>> quantityUomId
>>> quantityIncluded