Hi Ted,

the difference between adaptive and responsive is as follows:

Adaptive is modified with specific screens in mind - in the case of the link
shared 450px. Anything in between is not covered, as I pointed out in
another thread a while ago. Hence it doesn't work for any device not fitting
the target spec - tablets, android phones, phones held sideways etc.

Responsive on the other hand adapts itself to the different screen sizes,
stretches and modifies the look and feel entirely for a broader range of
devices.

As a quick reference, have a look at:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14831530/responsive-design-vs-adaptive-design
http://www.symphonyonline.co.uk/design/item/responsive-layout-vs-adaptive-layout-whats-the-difference

You can achieve an optimal UX with both implementations, but they certainly
aren't the same. The former also requires alot of work and constant
modification.

As far as the bigfish promotion is concerned, I am fine with people showing
their products, but blatantly promoting it on every post is just not my cup
of tea. Nuff said...

Cheers