From: Jacques Le Roux [mailto:jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 7:51 AM
To: user@ofbiz.apache.org
Subject: Re: Formal Discussion

I think Paul as a point here, but I was reading Paul's comment in this 6
months old thread http://markmail.org/message/3a5cdvxucijkf4mw and wondered
about it.
Because it sounded like opening a can of worms to me. So I asked advice to
someone who knows far better current UI tricks and trends than me.

Here is what she said:
<<Javascript has its uses (e.g. exchanging images for high rez screens for
higher resolution images) but in most cases Responsive Solutions will be CSS
based with maybe some javascript to do some stuff in smaller screens for
opening and closing things.
As for max-width: the trend with responsive design has been to make it look
good on all sizes of screens, meaning you either work from your smallest
version (mobile first) or the largest (desktop first) and then put
breakpoints as your design needs them. Not as devices change because device
pixel sizes change at a rate that is not sustainable to maintain. That is
also why user agent sniffing and device sniffing is not a good idea. Samsung
alone has a range of a 100 or so smartphones. Chances that you are sniffing
all correctly is almost 0. Just for a short look at what a range of pixels
we are talking: http://screensiz.es/phone. And that is leaving "strange"
devices, like a car monitor, a PS Vita, a Nintendo wii, your refrigerator,
etc., out of the equation...
We are moving towards a world where you have to design apart devices, purely
based on pixel widths and showing everything in a visually pleasing way.
That is why, imo, only a truly fluid layout can survive that will adapt to
any screen width>>

I believe she is quite right, things are evolving far to fast (er, screen
resolutions ;o) to try to follow them...

Jacques