Hi Paul and Nick,

I have now read all three articles to which you two have provided links.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/web-designer/what-is-the-difference-between-responsive-vs-adaptive-web-design/
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14831530/responsive-design-vs-adaptive-design
http://www.symphonyonline.co.uk/design/item/responsive-layout-vs-adaptive-layout-whats-the-difference

If those are truly representative of what adaptive and responsive
design are generally conceived to be, then, in my view as a software
engineer who not only designs applications ranging from n-tier
client-server applications through stand-alone desktop applications
and services (in linux implemented as daemons), to web applications,
but who also directs junior engineers as to technologies to use,
functional requirements and how these are to be met, I regard
focussing on an alleged distinction between adaptive and responsive
design.  As it happens, in my own practice, I mix and match elements
of the favourite techniques of advocates of both, based on my
definition of the application's functional requirements, the
flexibility and maintainability of the code base, and the cost of
development (in both time and dollars).  In short, they are both
merely subsets of what I taught my staff as adaptive design.  I do not
deny that there may be differences, but those differences are trivial
at best, and in the larger scheme of things, do not matter.  I am not
one who cares what label gets applied to a given practice as long as
communication is clear and the job actually gets done in a timely
manner.  To be blunt, I would tear a strip off any of my staff that
wasted time I am paying for by arguing about the difference between
adaptive vs responsive design (or similar trivia best left to the
academic world) instead of discussing or analyzing what really
matters, which is how we're going to finish the project at hand in a
way that both supports all defined functional requirements and keeps
cost and time to delivery/deployment at a minimum without sacrificing
our ability to refactor or extend the application in question in the
future, and then, of course, getting it done.

Cheers

Ted