On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 7:06 AM, Nick Rosser <nros...@solveda.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> I thought I'd share some encouraging news from a recent implementation we
> were involved in:
>
>  * we built a site for a Philly based jeweler who has some unique
>    products geared for Valentine's Day
>  * they start their sale on 1-Jan, it typically gains real momentum by
>    the end of Jan, and peaks around the 11th, 12th Feb
>  * peak #visitors (day): 20,000
>  * peak #pageviews (day): 150,000
>  * peak #orders (day): ~4000
>  * peak #concurrent users: 275
>
> And perhaps the most impressive fact around performance was that during
> peak the site was flying, no noticeable difference if there was a single
> user or 275 concurrent users.

This looks good.  It wouldn't be so good if you had to deploy on the latest
super-computer to get that performance, but it would be astounding if you
could get that off a five year old desktop that would otherwise be a really
ugly paper-weight.  ;-)

I agree with you that it would be good to collect reports like yours
regarding good performance.  Might I suggest setting something up either on
the OFBiz site, or on yours, to make such reports easy to find.  I would
also suggest that the technical details of the host be provided (whether
that is on Amazon's service, or one of the many other hosting services),
documenting at least the amount of RAM, number of cores/processors, and
hard disk space.  And with the processors, some indication of the speed of
the processor (after all, my current workstation, with 8 cores, is more
than an order of magnitude faster than my old HP that had a 4 core AMD -
not all cores were created equal).  And how many (virtual) machines were
used: 2, 3, more?  And if more than one, how is each used?

It is great that this is affordable for small business, but a good
businessman is going to want information that lets him assess the cost of
getting it done (both initial setup and continuing monthly costs), along
with the performance, and whether or not the interface is user friendly.
How can a businessman hope to do a cost-benefit analysis without such
information, especially if he or she knows little about IT save that it is
needed and must rely on outside consultants?

I would suggest that, in addition to providing information suitable for
other developers interested in contributing code, and more for users, it is
necessary for some documentation, along with reports of performance like
yours, written to deal with the concerns of a businessman from the
perspective of businessmen.  Only then will OFBiz really thrive, if I may
use that metaphor.

Cheers

Ted