Thanks Jacopo!

Jacques

Le 18/09/2014 10:36, Jacopo Cappellato a écrit :
On Sep 18, 2014, at 9:17 AM, Pierre Smits <pierre.sm...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi All,

In September 2007 the PMC Chair of our project reported to the board of the
ASF the following numbers regarding subscription to the projects mailing
lists:

   - user@ofbiz: 515
   - dev@ofbiz: 380
   - commits@offbiz: 100

In March of 2010 the PMC Chair reported the following numbers:

   - user@ofbiz: 718
   - dev@ofbiz: 466
   - commits:@ofbiz: 218

These numbers show significant increases from 2007 to 2010 across all
mailing lists, and indicate that we may have a healthy project.
But how are the numbers these days? Are they still rising, or are they on
the decline?
Pierre, why are you asking these questions to the user list?
Please clarify to the community your motivations and the reasons for your
continued attempts to discredit such an healthy project.

Your attempts to imply that the project is not healthy (and I apologize if I am
mis-interpreting your intentions) are completely baseless and misleading for
newcomers.

However, I thank you for giving me the opportunity to share with the community
a few useful information on this topic.

The project is still very healthy from all point of views and even if it has a
large and mature codebase there is still a lot of activity going on (and even
if it will ever decrease it would not be a bad signal per se).
Also, I disagree that the number of subscribers are a good indication of
project growth, nor the number of commits or similar.
In the past, without the help of the mailing list it was mostly impossible to
deploy successfully OFBiz. Now it is possible and easy because the product has
matured and we have a good release strategy. There are also several alternative
(to the mailing lists) channels to share information about OFBiz (external mail
archives, LinkedIn and other social media, stackoverflow): this was not true in
the past.
One thing didn't change since then: even in 2007 (and before and after) we had
people complaining about the health of the project and forecasting obscure
future for the project.

I am saying that the project is healthy for a number of reasons:
* because there are every day new companies/groups/individuals interested in
OFBiz, that select OFBiz after comparing it with other open source and legacy
products (we have a direct experience of this at HotWax Media, the company I
work for, but I am sure that you and others can confirm the same trend)
* because the project is still keeping the framework updated (new Tomcat,
Freemarker, Log4j, DBCP2, etc...)
* because we are improving the framework and applications
* because we have now a steady rate of releases (this was not true in 2007 and
in 2010): I know of several users that didn't subscribe to the mailing lists
but just downloaded OFBiz and, following the documentation, were able to deploy
a project.

For completeness, here are the stats about mailing list subscriptions at today:

user: 892
dev: 545
commits: 255

Now let's all go back to work and to make OFBiz an even better product.

Kind regards,

Jacopo