On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 04:27:09PM +0100, Klaas Freitag wrote:
> Am 19.02.2016 um 14:07 schrieb Chris Green:
> > When I open my Owncloud Client (version 2.1.1) the 'Add Folder Sync
> > Connection' button is greyed out.  If I hover the mouse over it then
> > the tooltip says:-
> >
> >     Add folder is disabled because you are already syncing all your
> >     files.  If you want to sync multiple folders then please remove
> >     the currently configured root folder.
> >
> > Well, I removed the "currently configured root folder" but as soon as
> > I add a folder back then *it* becomes the "currently configured root
> > folder" and I still have the same limitation that I had before.
>
> If you sync the _entire_ ownCloud to your desktop you can not pick a
> subfolder from that additionally to sync.

Er, what "_entire_ ownCloud"?  I maybe understand you but I'm not sure.

I'm starting from scratch and I haven't put *anything* into the file
storage.  I want to simply select (say) two folders from my home
directory on my desktop (say /home/chris/bin and /home/chris/holidays)
and share them with my laptop.  Can't I do that?

I don't really want to share any of the stuff that comes by default, I
want to share things on my desktop, laptop, etc.

> Imagine your ownCloud has the folders "Documents" and "Music" besides
> many others. You could pick "Documents" to sync to a local dir, and
> additionally "Music", that way you would have two sync dirs with that
> server. This way you would not pull huge amounts of data that you do not
> necessarily need to your client.

But it still doesn't allow me to select the folders that *I* want to
put there, it just allows me to select some of the ones that OwnCloud
has put there already!

I think this is where I got to last time.  OwnCloud really doesn't
seem to do what I'd expect when it offers file sharing. I can't select
*existing* files on my system and share them, that's surely what one
should be able to do.

Sorry if I sound rather negative but I do think this is something that
OwnCloud has got wrong in its design.

--
Chris Green