Matt,
In your action class, you have the request and the response object which
will get you all your form elements

public ActionForward execute(ActionMapping mapping, ActionForm form,
    HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response)
    throws java.lang.Exception {
        String xxx = ( String ) request.getParameter("xxx");
        // now do anything with xxx
}

As far as configuring your action in the struts-config, you can associate an
empty form to your action :
<form-beans>
    <form-bean
        name="emptyForm"
        type="org.apache.struts.action.DynaActionForm"/>
</form-beans>

and then add 'name="emptyForm"' in your action mapping:

 <action path="/yourAction"
            type="your.action.type"
            name="emptyForm"
            scope="request"

  <forward
            name="..."
  </action>

I hope this is what you are looking for.

Avinash