Actually, it's not at all the case.

To merge a couple of simultaneous threads here, my app has a link that
lets the user toggle between languages. It calls an action that cares
nothing about any form. It just looks at the current Locale  and goes on
:-)

You only need an ActionForm in your action if you need to get told
something about what to do by the user. If the fact the action is being
called is sufficient knowledge, then dispense with the form declaration.