+1

On 3 Jun 2004, at 14:30, Frank Zammetti wrote:

I'm going to pull a Bill Gates here...

"UltraEdit and a command prompt should be enough for anybody!"

Seriously though... I know many people swear by this IDE or that IDE, but I've done a large number of projects ranging from small ones to huge ones, and each and every one was done with nothing more than a top-notch text editor. And I've found that as compared to those members of the team that used one IDE or another, even when those members pretty much knew the technologies involved better than me, I worked just as fast or faster than them.

Maybe I'm a freak of nature or something, but I prefer to believe there's simply less getting in the way when I work. Less between me and the metal if you will :) Besides, I'm in complete control of what's going on below me in this scenario. No forced directory structures, no canned code that I have to take time to understand, no arcane error messages to decypher when the IDE decides it can't compile my code for one reason or another.

I think except for a good debugger, IDE's tend to get in the way more than they help, that's been my experience anyway. And when you consider that most of what you do as a programmer comes down to text editing anyway...

From: "Navjot Singh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [OT] Good env for struts-based-web-tier and ejb components development
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 10:41:30 +0530

Hi List,

I am about to start development work on some auction site which in principle
is similar to e-bay but not of that scale. I will be using J2EE+Jboss.

What kind of IDE development environment do you guys use for the
development?

I just tried Eclipse + EasyStruts + Lomboz. Lomboz is good but not good
enough.

1. I still have to carefully edit ejb-jar and jboss files to make my things
run.
2. The directory structure that it creates in the background is not good.
3. The xdoclet tags that it generates is for all servers. e.g JOnAs jboss,
weblogic. but i need for only jboss.
4. The build files that it generates are bit obscure.

Easy Struts is just OK and doesn't provide much time saving to me. I can
live without it also. Moreover, EasyStruts doesn't work with Eclipse 3.0.

In nutshell, the entire development environment becomes unorganized, if not
complex.

I wish to know what kinda env do you use? How do streamline your development
process?

TIA
Navjot Singh