From: Daniel Perry [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 17 June 2004 16:03
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: [OT] Soccer portal released goal.com

Way back in April I was quite impressed by a demonstration
Visual .Net / Managed C++ / C# talking directly to a J2EE 1.4
web service. The guy demonstrated the whole thing in under
five minutes. So I have been wondering what is the state of the
art of tools under J2EE, but I guess I will find in two weeks
at J1.

I wish i shared that experience. My complaints about .NET all stem back to
one thing - it's a closed source MS product. They are about as good at
fixing bugs as complying with standards!

I find open source java solutions far better - you find a bug you ask for a
fix, or fix it yourself. You find the software doesnt do what you want, you
hack the code to do it! With .NET this is impossible.

I have recently written web services for our software to interoperate with
an MS .NET system. It was an absolute nightmare. Bugs in MS's soap
implementation stopped it from accessing our service. This was eventually
overcome, but accessing the .NET service was even more painful. I cannot
use Apache AXIS (directly) to access the service because AXIS generates a
request with slightly different namespace declaration (but an equally valid
one) than MS expects:

<ns1:GetData
soapenv:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/";
xmlns:ns1="http://tempuri.org";>

The example SOAP XML which MS gives you as an example (which works):

<GetData xmlns="http://tempuri.org/";>

The only solution to this i found was to generate my own "SoapEnvelope"
object and use axis to send it, which makes for an ugly solution.

Generally i find the state of J2EE tools to be better than .NET, however
they are harder to find and sometimes get started with. MS's one benefit
here is everything comes in the one box! There are some things i quite like
about .NET but i just dont like microsofts implementation. Hopefully MONO
are going to do better :)

Daniel.

Thnaks for that. Sounds like another open source project needs to be written "Wrapper Around Mycrosoft .Net" in ernest. Your experience is exactly my experience with Visual C++ back in 1999. Confused I'ill alway be once you get beyond the tutorial examples!

I am a Linux phile so I would like to get into C# and stuff using MONO. It does look like an interesting language to learn too.

At CSFB in Operations/IT it is all J2EE at the moment, but you just never know, The world could turn on its head any day.

--
Peter Pilgrim
Operations/IT - Credit Suisse First Boston, 10 South Colonnade, London E14 4QJ, United Kingdom