We are also experiencing issues with tags and theme files, we are upgrading
many applications from 2.3.4.1 to 2.3.14.3
I am not sure if this is related - if not and if I need to start a new
discussion please let me know and accept my apology.

1/

We previously always coded forms as :
        <s:form action="login" namespace="/">....
Now randomly, this fails to generate the proper action url in the html (it is
missing the '.action', which results in a 404 once you post the form)

The only workaround we have found so far is to add the '.action' suffix to the
s:form's action attribute. Before it was always added for us by struts.
So now we are having success with
        <s:form action="login.action" namespace="/">...

Is this expected behavior? Did this change recently? 2.3.4.1 is not so ancient..

2/

We are trying to replace the "required" attribute in the textfields with
"requiredLabel" without success. Was the xhtml theme's ftl file
"controlheader_core" updated to reflect the changes in the struts-tags.tld
(requiredLabel replaced required)?

Also, it seems applications are randomly serving ftl files from other
applications' theme folders with the same name.
 This was demonstrated by modifying something obvious in one application's ftl
file (displaying some text next to a text field's label), and the effect can be
seen randomly on other applications which shouldn’t even see that application's
template folder (the themes are however named the same in both applications)
I am only able to make the "requiredLabel" attribute work if placed in a
<s:param> tag as opposed to being just an attribute of the s:textfield tag, but
even so it is still not always using the same ftl files (however always from
similarly named themes placed inside each application)

This is extremely confusing. Is FreeMarker caching files independently of the
application? Is the app container interfering with caching? (We are using Resin
4.0.36)

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you in advance

Bruno Litman