Hubert,

Thank you for your response. At present, I am using the Validator for my first level of indexed properties and custom validation for the second level. I'd really like to use the Validator for everything as it makes it much easier for maintenance and makes the code clearer when you don't use two (or more) different techniques for validation.

I'm finding it hard to believe that there aren't other folks trying to do the same thing, however. As I mentioned, I've done a lot of searching for information on this topic and come up empty. All of the examples in books, articles, and web tutorials deal with the nice, clean first level of indexed properties and nesting. I'd sure like to see some of the "gurus" who are writing these books and articles take the next step and start putting some meat on the examples. I find that there is plenty of information beginners using the technologies separately. Once you start combining the various tools and start doing some real work, however, the effort to try to get things done and/or find information increases exponentially. I was hoping this mailing list might be the port in the storm I was seeking. I'm still hoping and hopeful...

Thanks again,

TR

Hubert Rabago wrote:
Terry,

I share your concern about OT messages drowning out valid Struts
questions.  However, in this particular case, it could be a matter of
not a whole lot of people having experience with the problem.

For the situation you have, I have to say I just avoided it when I
encountered it.  At the time, I needed more out of my form than what I
wanted to do with Dyna*Form anyway, so I went the traditional
ActionForm way and did my validation in the validate() method.

I don't know enough about validator in order to confirm that
multi-level indexed property validation is not supported, but if I
*had* to guess, I'd say it isn't.  If I'm right, then other options
you can look at are creating a custom validator, or using the
traditional validate() method (on an ActionForm or a DynaActionForm
extension).

Hubert