Carl-Eric Menzel wrote:
Hi,

I.m currently facing a weired problem.

I use a form to provide a search function. When I do not use any special
character in this form everything is fine. As soon as I enter e.g. "Rö" the
corresponding form value is set to "Rö" If an umlaut appears in the search
result it is display correctly. So, the problem seems to occur only in the
request.

What browser are you using? I had the same problem, and I more or less
solved it by outputting only UTF-8 pages, with the proper header set.
This causes most browsers to respond in UTF-8. The default encoding
that the servlet classes use is ISO-8859-1, however, so I also use a
filter to force the servlet to treat the incoming request as UTF-8. So
far this has worked nicely. With Struts 1.2 you can now also use the
acceptCharset attribute of the <html:form> tag. I don't know how well
this is supported by the current crop of browsers, but it should give
them another hint what you want them to do.

ISO-8859-1 should be no problem since it contains all german umlauts.