Christoph Kutzinski wrote:

> ISO-8859-1 should be no problem since it contains all german umlauts.

True. But I have standardized on UTF-8 for all text output in my
applications, since I sometimes also have to deal with cyrillic stuff,
and I don't want to adjust my encodings and the input filter all the
time. Going directly to UTF-8 solves all that. Is there any good
reason not to use UTF-8 by default?

--
Carl-Eric Menzel * OpenPGP KeyID 808F4A8E * Encrypted Messages Preferred
"Der Beginn aller Wissenschaften ist das Erstaunen, daß die Dinge