Carl-Eric Menzel wrote:
Christoph Kutzinski wrote:

ISO-8859-1 should be no problem since it contains all german umlauts.

True. But I have standardized on UTF-8 for all text output in my
applications, since I sometimes also have to deal with cyrillic stuff,
and I don't want to adjust my encodings and the input filter all the
time. Going directly to UTF-8 solves all that. Is there any good
reason not to use UTF-8 by default?

AFAIK not.
Maybe there are still some very old browsers around which doesn#t support UTF-8.

In our case we have a DB in which all texts are stored as ISO-8859-1, so it is easier for us to display the pages in ISO-8859-1, too.

So generally there are only legacy reasons not to use UTF-8