Richard Reyes wrote:

Whats the advantage of using spring for your persitence layer when you
can do it with struts?

I had the good fortune to read Rod Johnson & Juergen Hoeller's "J2EE developement without EJB". From what I can glean from the book, Spring is much more than a MVC or a Persistenece layer.

As Dakota Jack already said, it's a light-weight j2ee application framework. It uses 'Dependency Injection' or 'Inversion of Control' to make configuration and testing of web-apps much more simpler. Good starting point:

http://www.martinfowler.com/articles/injection.html

Also, it uses AOP to handle security concerns and other "aspects". A lot of the book is also devoted to giving arguments to support "EJB is way too complex for most web applications" and "open-source alternatives are easier to use and maintain" and "don't distribute your objects". Ofcourse I can't do full justice to the book, but it convinced me enough to try out Spring sometime in my next project.

Regards,
Vamsee.