I would use hibernate. It´s the best framework for object-persistence (I
think), works very well with struts + Tomcat 5.0 (I haven't thes 5.5). I
think it would be a good approach

        Para:   <user@struts.apache.org>
        cc:     (cco: Rodolfo García Esteban/CYII)
        Asunto: Need Database Connectivity Advice

I am at a crossroads of information today, and could use some advice.
Prior to using the Struts framework, I had a roll-your-own database
pooling solution that of course required threads and Vectors of
connections, etc. Upon the start of another new project, I found myself
Friday trying to figure out how to use the DBCP classes inside my Tomcat
server. As I do not understand the JNDI, etc. I had some trouble Friday
and over the weekend, getting all configured. And when I did get it work
work by their simple example, I ended up connecting in a JSP page, and
that is not what I want.

So reflecting to my book OReilly/Struts, I noticed that they use a
database persistance product. Something called ObjectRelationalBridge, and
use it with some design patterns that I am having trouble following. I
would like to possbily go this route, but I am confused at the Factory
references, etc. I don't know why I am having trouble understanding this,
but I am.

I had the weekend to try and get my bearings on how to start this new
web-app, and build it so I can war up and host at an ISP. I figured each
user on this list probably already connects, and has some great ideas to
throw my way.

I could really use some advice, on selecting the correct, both easy to
use, and reusable in the future solution for my connectivity dilemma. The
reason I found DBCP confusing, is that the directions for the Tomcat 5.5
show a JSP page, using JSTL commands, and I really do not want to connect
in JSP pages.

I would really appreciate any input, advice, links, how to advice, etc.

Sincerely
Scott K Purcell