All the time you are missing one thing my friend, the marketting words
"Servlet/jsp/struts is for large application". Those site you are
talking about is nothing more than a small/large/medium sized portal
type application.

Comparing PHP and Java is a kind of vague idea. We choose technology
which will confirm our ROI. for small scale application where u don't
need 1000 transactions per hour php is well fitted rather than java.
As far as i understand PHP is a kind of cheap technology that  can
confirm  ur ROI for small or even mid scale application but for large
application i don't think it will be wellfitted except creating big
mess.

Personally i like both struts and jsf. jsf have come with the goodies
of struts and improved many other side as well. i am not an expert on
jsf and have no experiance with it but if jsf is better than struts
then jsf should come up to take the place of struts as a better
technology.

Rokibul Islam Khan
Software Developer