Are you using the TilesRequestProcessor?  In struts-config.xml:

    <controller
       processorClass="org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesRequestProcessor"/>

Also make sure the Tiles Plugin is configured:

    <plug-in className="org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesPlugin" >

      <!-- Path to XML definition file -->
      <set-property property="definitions-config"
                       value="/WEB-INF/tiles-defs.xml" />
      <!-- Set Module-awareness to true -->
      <set-property property="moduleAware" value="true" />
    </plug-in>

Greg