I know there are some leading edge JSF and Shale gurus who monitor this list.
I have a basic
question:  Can rich web application interfaces be created in JSF?

I've looked at MyFaces and Tomahawk (http://myfaces.apache.org/).  The source
code that can be
found in the examples at http://www.irian.at/myfaces/home.jsf is perplexing.  I
see data tables,
panel groups, and panel grids for the page layout.  I do not see standards
based CSS design.  I
don't see how you could create rich web application interfaces with
externalized styles using JSF
components.

I know the concept is that JSF components can be "rendered" for different
viewing devices;
however, I'm not sure the creators of JSF really thought through the process of
how most web
applications are created.  I think the usual case is that a mock up of the web
interface is
created by marketing execs and web designers, then that mock up is "wired" by
software engineers
(in our case we use Struts for the wiring).  CSS design is very advanced (see:
http://www.csszengarden.com/).  It is unrealistic to think companies are going
to retrain their
web designers on a new technology that is less capable then the one they are
currently using.

As a specific example, the use of such tags in JSF as,
"<f:verbatim><br></f:verbatim>" is
horrible.

I think JSF has missed the mark.  Rather than tossing out Struts I think Sun
should have enhanced
Struts by creating a simple process for plugging in web components (perhaps
some sort of enhanced
Tiles strategy) and they should have also enhanced Struts by adding a better
page flow process
(similar to Spring WebFlow).

One of the most promising projects for web application frameworks is a project
named, "Clarity"
(http://www.jsfcentral.com/listings/A6020?link).  The goal of this project is
to consolidate and
enhance existing frameworks.  I hope this is the path to nirvana.

I like the JSF concept of pluggable components.  My major problem with JSF is
the design strategy
that states an application is a collection of components and these components
have renderers for
different devices.  I suppose that you could try to wrap CSS design around
"<f:view>" tags if you
are creating a web application, but this seems contrary to the JSF model.

Please share some guiding thoughts.  Especially, if you have a link to some
cool example pages
created with JSF, I'd like to see them.

Thx.

Mike