At 5:30 PM +0200 3/29/06, Jonathan Revusky wrote:
It has some clear implications too. No matter how you shake it, the two things were technical *competitors*. Normally, the Struts people should be about as happy to say that Webwork is better as to have a tooth pulled. So if they say it...

Here you ascribe an outlook on things to "the Struts people" which assumes that your motivations are theirs.

Frankly, this is inaccurate for me. I see open source software as cooperative, not competitive, even between projects.

I think Niall's answer to the question "why did Struts development stagnate" is pretty much what I would say. I'm not doing this for bragging rights, and it's not the only thing I like to do in my spare time. I contribute when I can. If it helps anyone, that's great. As far as I can tell it hasn't hurt anyone.

Also note that the WebWork team is supporting this merger process. As far as I know, none of them have vigorously objected, nor sworn to carry on WebWork under its own name, etc. So perhaps there is another group of developers whose motivations are not what you personally might guess they are.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
[EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://blog.germuska.com