At 7:09 PM +0200 3/29/06, Jonathan Revusky wrote:
Joe Germuska wrote:
At 5:30 PM +0200 3/29/06, Jonathan Revusky wrote:

It has some clear implications too. No matter how you shake it, the two things were technical *competitors*. Normally, the Struts people should be about as happy to say that Webwork is better as to have a tooth pulled. So if they say it...

Here you ascribe an outlook on things to "the Struts people" which assumes that your motivations are theirs.

Frankly, this is inaccurate for me. I see open source software as cooperative, not competitive, even between projects.

LOL.

Well, Joe, wouldn't a casual observer say that you are taking this position because your team lost the technical competition?

Some might; some might not. Whether or not they said it wouldn't mean it was correct.

Of course, you'd expect the losers to rationalize things saying it wasn't *really* a competition.

No.  You would expect this.  I would not.

So your assertion that "it hasn't hurt anyone" is quite debatable. By leveraging the extra placement and visibility advantages of ASF to promote an inferior body of work, you have been breathing the oxygen of an innovative project that really was doing the real work of pushing forward the state of the art.

See, I am not doing any of these things. I'm just a person who has a job to do, and I choose to work with others to help me get this job done. Everything else you have written is your own window dressing on the situation.

But if you think these guys like Patrick and Jason aren't ego-driven, surely you're kidding yourself. Just as you'd be kidding yourself if you think Craig, say, isn't extremely ego-driven. None of these people, as far as I can see, make the slightest attempt even to hide it.

Frankly, I don't care what their motivations are.

But, Joe, I think that, most poeple, in their heart of hearts, don't believe this kind of line. It's a bunch of politically correct drivel really. Get real.

I just thought I should point out that for all of your self-assured declarations about how the world works, you are not necessarily right. You can try to speak for "most people", but you don't speak for me.

Really,
        Joe

--
Joe Germuska