Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2007 10:17 AM
Subject: Re: [S2] Ajax performance optimisation

I have a very complex app using Dojo that just went live a few weeks ago (although *not* using S2), and this past week we got a 70+% performance improvement out of it. We did three things Dojo-related. First, we used a custom build (previously we just let Dojo import whatever it needed on the fly). I know this is a primary suggestion the Dojo team makes, so I assume you've done that already. Second, all the Dojo resources, all the .js, .css and image files, were moved onto the web server. Third, we set expires headers for all these resources to one hour on Apache.

None of that is rocket science, but it made an absolutely amazing difference. We're under SSL as well, and our performance right now is on par with what a developer sees running it locally without SSL. It's absolutely stunning.

We actually moved *all* our static resources out to the web server (we use other libraries like ActiveWidgets, WiseBlocks and have a ton of .js that makes up the app itself). We also made some other architectural changes, so the improvement we saw isn't strictly what we did with Dojo. But, myself and another senior guy spent all week measuring and benchmarking and testing and I can say for sure that the biggest improvement was in fact the Dojo changes.

hth,
Frank

Nuwan Chandrasoma wrote:
Hi,

we also had the similar problem, we had a s1.x application with dojo and we did all the performance enhancements that was recommended by dojo, but we could not achive what we want and our application was running in https mode. it add more performance problem to the application.

Thanks,

Nuwan