I would add a login action to the public namespace which prepares a login page. Unfortunately I don't think the container will allow you to specify "/login.action" as the login page though, but you can make login.jsp redirect to it.

According to Practical Apache Struts 2, this should be able to be an action. However, I'm having difficulty getting this to work. I keep getting a 404 requested resource not found for the logon action. I'll keep working on it, if any one has any ideas it would be great.

I fairly sure it depends on which container implementation you're using and (possibly) whether you're using the 2.4 or 2.5 servlet specification (specified in web.xml)
I think it's not supported in Tomcat 5.5.