Wes Wannemacher wrote:

I'm jumping in late, so if I refer to something that came up in a
tomcat. Tomcat is picky about certain things being actual filesystem
resources. There are two possible solutions (if I'm right about Tomcat),
the first being Jeromy's suggestion. The other thing I've done that
seems to work is to create a blank file that matches the request. In
this case a 0-byte file called login.action may do the trick. It's a bit
of a hack, and I think when this comes up with the Tomcat peeps, they
point to the spec.
-Wes

Excellent! I loathe using a redirect. This probably belongs in a FAQ somewhere as it comes up a lot with respect to using an action as the welcome file.